The ICARUS system enables global observation of small objects such as animals from space. Its miniaturized tracking devices (tags) communicate via RF with the ICARUS payload on a satellite and terrestrially with handheld devices and base stations. The ICARUS User Data Centre operates the system, processes the data and commands, and provides the user with access to the data. The ICARUS system provides:
- very small, lightweight and innovative tags
- global tag coverage to record long distance migration patterns
- simultaneous communication with a multitude of animal tags
- extremely low tag mass and size to allow tracking of small animals
- long, maintenance-free tag life in order to cover complete migration cycles
- logging of internal (physiological) and external (environmental) state of animals
The ICARUS system aims at users who want to observe or monitor a large number of objects over long distance and time with small devices.